Re: Finding and debugging the battery "applet" in GNOME 3.4 fallback mode

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 12:09 PM, Martin Langhoff
<martin langhoff gmail com> wrote:
> I'm going to give a shot to wrapping g-s-m in a shell script, but I
> don't think it'll work.

It does work. So that's a trivial debugging trick that deserves to be
somewhere in the wiki

 mv /usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon{,.real}
 cat >/usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon <<EOF
 #!/bin/bash
 exec /usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon.real --debug
 EOF
 chmod ugo+x /usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon

As long as gnome-session keeps using its current process spawning
strategy, it'll work.

As for my bug, looking at the logs generated it all seems to be
working fine. We do have an (unrelated) paint/damage bug in our X
driver that causes issues around the applet dock. We'll switch
attention there, it may well be that the battery icon is getting
updated and our paint/damage bug isn't updating the display properly.

This doesn't help nor clarify the Debian case, but Florian seems to
have a suggestion for that track.

thanks!

 martin langhoff gmail com
 martin laptop org -- Software Architect - OLPC
 - ask interesting questions