Re: Some points about IM integration

On 05/15/2012 10:17 PM, Rovanion Luckey wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> This fall I and three other students did an accessibility study in
> which Dasher was a part. One of the issues we encountered was that the
> user after having typed it's sentence or any other text into Dasher
> had to copy and paste it into the application they were actually
> using. And if they later discovered an issue in the text they'd have
> to copy it back to Dasher, edit it and then copy and paste it to the
> application again.

This copy and paste is not required for most of the apps. I have just
tried with gedit and I was able to write text with dasher without this
copy and paste process.

Hint: in order to do that you need to use the option "direct"

   $dasher -a direct

Having said so, and elaborating "most of the apps": in the case of
gnome-shell this copy and paste is required on the overview, as there
isn't a full integration in that case.

> If this hasn't changed since then and without having any knowledge of
> the input management code or the Dasher code I would like to ask a
> question: Wouldn't it be great to have Dasher appear when a text field
> is activated in Gnome much like it does on Android[1]?

"direct" was a Dasher option since years. About having Dasher appear
when a text field appear, yes I guess that it would be a fine improvement.

> The Input Manager is called when the text area is activated. It then
> puts characters in the field. This has been a great success on Android
> with the most popular keyboard in the store being installed on about
> 100.000 devices. Couldn't something of the sorts be done in Gnome for
> on screen keyboards, accessibility tools and other input managers like
> the one discussed in this thread? They all seem to do the same thing,
> just in different ways.

Obviously there is a relation between alternative keyboard inputs
(including on screen keyboards and apps like dasher) and input methods.

BR

--
Alejandro Piñeiro Iglesias