Re: Some points about IM integration

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 12:54 AM, Olav Vitters <olav vitters nl> wrote:
> On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 10:40:03AM +0800, Aron Xu wrote:
>> Q: "What are GNOME people doing?"
>> A: "1.Super-excellent ideas and design;"
>> "2.Poor implementation;"
>> "3.Working hard on fix-ups and finally it works;"
>> "4.Immediately starting to re-invent wheels from Point 1."
>
> Cool that you have that idea, but raising things like this is *not*
> related at all to the subject. Either be specific, or don't post.
>
> I have zero interest to see things about how GNOME might be viewed as
> well as your thoughts on GNOME OS.
>
> You mentioned not wanting to start a flame war. Please also don't start
> one yourself.

As you are one of the moderators, please don't try to blame someone
based on your very first impression, read the whole post and you'll
find whether it's related. What you have just quoted is "rumor", but
it is something that happens right away as far as I can see for IMF
related issue here:

1.GNOME is trying to have IMF integration - cool stuff.
2.But it is warned by specialized people that the plan is broken - can
lead to poor implementation and breakage.
3.People insist on having it right now for 3.6 - then must work hard
on fix-ups in the future.
4.As said before, if IBus is getting replaced - then re-work the whole thing.

I sincerely would like to see both the thread and all the people calm
down and think more about it, then come around it some time later.

I believe everyone who would like to be involved in the implementation
wants to see something constructive, not tempered, not trollish, and
not rushing. Then I'd like to propose all the IBus related work in
wip/input-sources branch of the following components being suspended
at once:
  gnome-control-center
  gnome-shell
  gnome-settings-daemon
  gsettings-desktop-schemas
This feature should postponed at least for GNOME 3.6, even if we have
agreed on something, six months is too short for producing an almost
good release for users according to the current situation.

For future discussions, we will try to make GNOME developers
understand what input method really is and know about user's
requirements. Then we, including GNOME people, IBus developers and
Fcitx developers sit down together to figure out what's the right way
to do, as re-implementing things is painful at least for users, who
really suffer from the result.

--
Regards,
Aron Xu