Re: Some points about IM integration

I'm just start catching the whole story and find where the discussion is now.

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Weng Xuetian <wengxt gmail com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 12:52 PM, Germán Póo-Caamaño <gpoo gnome org> wrote:
>>
>> Is it possible you can enumerate all those special needs and why are
>> compulsory?
>>
>> Just stating the options are important does not help to understand why,
>> neither gives the opportunity to think or determine which approach would
>> fit better.
>>
> Well, since we already agreed on option complex but necessary is
> required, we need not to continue on this question.
>
> But if you want I could explain it. (Note that both fcitx and ibus
> have such option, so it's not about functionality but about UI.)
>
> Pinyin is an input method based on Pronunciation of Chinese character.
> But Chinese people have quite different accent in different place, so
> they might not be able to distinguish some pronunciation, for example
> "si" or "shi". So they are option to let input method think si and shi
> is the same string to lookup. Number of similar options is nearly 20,
> I think we could think this as "Complex". For the number of people who
> need it, it is much lesser than people who don't need it. But we
> cannot remove them since it's necessary for those people.

Now we're back to a specific input method, again.
>From my perspective, these options should be considered as input
method engine options.

I assume that proposed IM configuration module in gnome-control-center
will ONLY presents the options for input method *framework*. Correct
me if I'm wrong.
As long as it have a button to launch the input method engine
preference window AND doesn't shut the door from engine developer to
customize, I don't see it as an issue.

If so, I'm curious on how many tweaks in a certain input method
*framework* are available to end users in runtime. How many are there
in iBus and FCITX respectively?

Otherwise, I'm afraid that we may never consolidate a unified UX for
IM configuration module since the input method engine options vary
vastly.