Re: 3.6 Feature: IBus/XKB integration

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 12:08 AM, Sergey Udaltsov
<sergey udaltsov gmail com> wrote:
>> We only have the development resources to ship one input method. It's
>> going to need special code to integrate with Clutter and the St
>> toolkit. If IBus is bad right now, we need to fix it.
> Some while ago when I started libxklavier, there was idea to create
> some kind of abstraction layer for xkb and xmodmap. Perhaps it did not
> work quite well, but that was the idea. Is there any chance to create
> some kind of abstraction layer (dbus interface?) that would put IM
> frameworks on equal grounds (subject to discussion - should it be
> runtime or compile time choice). Would it be possible from gtk POV?
> g-c-c and g-s-d POV?
Yes, possible, for UI part there is even something already exist and
works for fcitx, ibus, scim, and I maintain it from KDE and a related
gnome-shell extension.
https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/kdeplasma-addons/repository/revisions/master/show/applets/kimpanel/
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/261/kimpanel/

if we can agree on some additonal dbus interface, it would be also ok for me.

> Additionally, would the people using various IM frameworks be able to
> create some kind of comparison table on l.g.o?
>
> Personally I am not using IM, so cannot be expert of any kind in that
> area... I only dealt with XKB so far.

You could check my previous email:
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2012-May/msg00107.html