Re: Introducing Photos

On 05/10/2012 06:32 PM, Bastien Nocera wrote:
On Thu, 2012-05-10 at 20:14 +0300, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) wrote:
On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 7:50 PM, Alberto Ruiz<aruiz gnome org>  wrote:
Shotwell is widely deployed and used, it has a team of people working on it,
and a commercial backer. These are VERY important things, prolly the most
important things to take into account, you worry too much about the data
store technologies, Tracker is great, but it is by no means the only
accepted data store in the desktop.

The point is that we already use Tracker in GNOME (Documents and Boxes
depend on it) and I don't see any reason for existing apps to stop
using it and while we could compromise on some code-duplication, its
certainly a big issue if there is two entities harvesting metadata
from tons of photos on every GNOME installation.

That's not a good enough reason. Sure it would be nicer if all the apps
used the same technology, but it shouldn't get in the way of producing
great apps with a great experience.

As for the "two entities harvesting metadata", does it make sense for
Tracker to index things that nothing is interested in? I'll let you
discuss this amongst yourselves ;)

We would gladly ONLY index data that's of interest to the user/desktop applications if you could come up with heuristics for that. I touched on that somewhat in my response earlier. Also, having superfluous coverage is better than wondering why a file is not indexed; we get more reports of the former generally.

Perhaps we do approach this the wrong way (detecting files created/updated instead of asking apps to report files they're interested in), but one had to come before the other and you don't get community support/adoption without a working solution first.

--
Regards,
Martyn

Founder and CEO of Lanedo GmbH.