Re: Introducing Photos

On Thu, 2012-05-10 at 20:14 +0300, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) wrote:
> On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 7:50 PM, Alberto Ruiz <aruiz gnome org> wrote:
> > Shotwell is widely deployed and used, it has a team of people working on it,
> > and a commercial backer. These are VERY important things, prolly the most
> > important things to take into account, you worry too much about the data
> > store technologies, Tracker is great, but it is by no means the only
> > accepted data store in the desktop.
>
> The point is that we already use Tracker in GNOME (Documents and Boxes
> depend on it) and I don't see any reason for existing apps to stop
> using it and while we could compromise on some code-duplication, its
> certainly a big issue if there is two entities harvesting metadata
> from tons of photos on every GNOME installation.

That's not a good enough reason. Sure it would be nicer if all the apps
used the same technology, but it shouldn't get in the way of producing
great apps with a great experience.

As for the "two entities harvesting metadata", does it make sense for
Tracker to index things that nothing is interested in? I'll let you
discuss this amongst yourselves ;)