Re: Feature Proposal: finding and rediscovering shared links

On 05/08/2012 08:06 PM, Seif Lotfy wrote:
I created a new wiki page for this. Hylke and Garrett have been helping
out on the idea and the design.

https://live.gnome.org/ThreePointFive/Features/FindingAndRediscoveringSharedLinks

Interesting. My comments:

- Is the paste/brush icon meant to mean paste or clear/delete?

- The navigation feels a bit flawed here, with Gossip, I would
  typically use a calendar widget to click on any day in the calendar
  month (usually the past week) OR search (which you already have
  there). Seldom do you need to find a link on the same day that you
  discovered it (at least I tend to keep my browser/chat windows, etc
  open most the day). You need to consider that sometimes the search
  don't be useful, because the URL is from some weird host, so you can
  only rely on approximately WHEN and WHO/WHERE (e.g. Skype) you got it
  from.

- The time it was received seems superfluous, usually in a day you only
  really deal with a handful of links, for me typically, this might be
  something like 0-20 links max. Recording the time is not useful (at
  least I don't associate when in the day I received that link, just an
  approximation of *which* day).

- The "involving" column looks like it should allow you to toggle
  people to involve in the search (much like Thunderbird's searching).
  Is that right?

- Is the icon for the person you received the link from? That's what I
  understood at first. If so, the icon for the links seems nice to have
  but not too useful in reality. What icon do you use for bookmarks? I
  would suggest the URL actually was a thumbnail of the website
  instead, people are more likely to recognise it that way.

- I would have some clear separation between the days if you stick to
  the current design with Yesterday/Today, etc. E.g. a divider or some
  odd/even discolouring or more space?

- A lot of links come from Jabber chatrooms or IRC for me, the list of
  contacts in the standalone mockup doesn't correlate there too well.
  People come and go from chatrooms/channels and I generally remember
  it being mention in the chatroom/channel itself not who in that room
  gave me the link.

Just to finish, I like the mockup but in terms of how I think about finding links I was given from my past experience with Gossip, the dialog is missing a few things to make the experience optimum *for me*. I realise everyone uses a computer differently.

Thanks Seif, et al.

--
Regards,
Martyn