Re: Again: please clarify the decision on IBus integration

On 9 July 2012 15:41, Aron Xu <aronxu gnome org> wrote:
> In Rui's patches, he defines some shortcuts for switching between XKB
> and IBus. This looks elegant, but it's problematic because IBus have
> already defined all kinds of shortcuts, as well as users may change
> many of them to fit their preference. The actual effect here is that
> IBus can hardly catch shortcuts and cannot be reactivated when the
> user switched to XKB, which is painful.

It's true that IBus ships its own UI and keeps its own settings
including keyboard shortcuts. But, one of the goals for this
integration is to define GNOME settings and shortcuts for what makes
sense to be in GNOME and expose them in GNOME UI like System Settings
and gnome-shell. One of those is the shortcut to switch among
configured "input sources" which allows you to switch between say a
plain German XKB layout and Chinese (Pinyin).

> Finally, because the patches is still sitting in wip branch, I don't
> think it's approperiate to report bugs to the application itself.

This should change soon and I'd be really thankful if you gave it a
try then and give us feedback on it.

Rui