OT: Unity handling of Application menus (was: Re: GNOME Goal Proposal: Port to GMenu)

On Thu, 2012-04-26 at 10:23 -0400, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
> On 26 April 2012 10:10, Jasper St. Pierre <jstpierre mecheye net> wrote:
> > And I thought that desrt and Colin worked very hard to have this work
> > with Ubuntu. I remember
> > Colin talking about how hard this was because of integration between
> > GNOME 2, GNOME 3
> > and Unity.
>
> Unity supports GMenus as a replacement for the traditional
> File/Edit/View menus, but I don't think it works as an addition at
> this time. No app does that yet anyway.

Slightly off topic for the GNOME lists, but just to clear up any
confusion.  In indicator-appmenu we watch for applications that both
application menus and window menus and display both in the Unity menu
bar.  So an application that has both would get something like:

  [Application Name] [File] [Edit]

But then, perhaps obviously, if there are no window menus only the
application menu will be shown (and vice-versa).  It's true that not
many applications do this, so bloatpad was the biggest test case, but
that's the idea :-)

While there are few today, our goal here was to ensure that as new
applications are developed it is expected that they'd use GMenuModel
instead of traditional GTK menus.  We expect that some developers would
want to target the Ubuntu 12.04 release via myapps[1] and we want those
applications to work for the full lifecycle of the release.  We want to
encourage usage of GMenuModel in all applications, much better than the
Dbusmenu parser we have for the traditional menus.

		--Ted

[1] http://myapps.developer.ubuntu.com  (slow today, sorry)