Re: 3.6 Feature: IBus/XKB integration

On Wed, 2012-04-25 at 14:50 +0100, Sergey Udaltsov wrote:
<snip>
> And, did you think about setting up the formal survey? Your idea to
> ask people was really good!

I think that our past experience with "surveys" done in the context of
GNOME have shown that this sort of survey isn't useful.

Asking people isn't about tallying who wants this option to stay, or
absolutely needs the frobnicator to whirr clockwise, it's about defining
requirements, and seeing how people use the current tools. Open
questions are much more likely to bring in useful data for the design
process than a survey ever would be.

Taken to the extreme, as an example you'll be familiar with: if you
asked "how many people use more than 1 keyboard layout" on a Russian
Linux site, you'll get 90% positive responses. If you asked the same
thing on a French end-user forum, you'd get close to zero, with none of
them knowing what a compose key is, because it's just "the Alt-Gr key".

So any survey is likely to be biased, which makes surveys not so useful.

Hopefully we can get Rui's code merged in early enough that we can catch
most of the obvious problems before release, and work from there.