Re: 3.6 Feature: Initial setup

On Mon, 2012-04-23 at 14:08 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:

> Sure, I agree that the online account and intro tour steps are useful
> for every new user, not just the first. Beyond that, they are also
> useful for an existing user who just upgraded his system from GNOME 2
> and is not familiar with the new features of GNOME 3. I'm confident
> that we can find a way to provide the same UI in these situations. The
> main focus of the feature as it is written now, is certainly the
> single-user machine - since that is a really common case (...not going
> to make up numbers).

Didn't we intentionally ditch the startup wizard from GNOME 2.early
something on the theory that we should just let users use their computer
and all of our functionality should be easily discoverable?

I sort of like the idea of a totally fresh GNOME session starting up
with a Web and www.gnome.org/welcome/ in the browser, with lots of
little YouTube videos. That could be useful and unobtrusive.

--danni

--
Danielle Madeley
Senior Software Engineer, Collabora Ltd.

www.collabora.co.uk