Re: Boxes and 3.4

Le mercredi 30 novembre 2011, à 10:31 +0100, William Jon McCann a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 8:08 AM, Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org> wrote:
> > Le mercredi 30 novembre 2011, à 00:37 +0200, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) a écrit :
> >> Hi everyone,
> >>    As most of you know, we proposed Boxes for 3.4 and from what I can
> >> tell, there were no big objections in the end. There was then the
> >> question of us actually delivering in time. As seen on planet GNOME
> >> not long after that, we delivered the first release which was included
> >> in 3.3.2. There is still a long way ahead to make Boxes the awesome
> >> app that we all would like it to be but to ensure that Boxes is in
> >> good enough shape for 3.4 inclusion in time, we would like to know a
> >> few things:
> >>
> >> * which features exactly are must?
> >> * is the plan to keep vinagre in 3.4 alongside boxes?
> >> * is Boxes going to be a 'preview' feature in 3.4 like Documents was in 3.2?
> >>
> >>  Release team? everyone?
> >
> > I'm sorry, but I still have the same objection :-) And talking to a few
> > people, I understood that I'm not alone in feeling that Boxes might not
> > fit core GNOME (even as a core app [1]).
>
> Can you be more specific about the reasons for your objection?

As mentioned in the previous thread: I don't think Boxes is needed for
what is our main target audience. And let me state again that it is a
nice tool for a small part of our users (including our own community).

> Do you feel the same way about Vinagre?

To me, the main use case of Vinagre is remote desktop administration,
when coupled with Vino. And that's actually why we added vino in 2.8 (to
help sysadmins help users), and then vinagre in 2.22 (nice complement to
vino).

The vino/vinagre duo is/was oriented towards sysadmins (although it
could be used for other use cases).

> > [1] http://live.gnome.org/Design/Apps -- just to give an example: I feel
> > that a backup tool makes more sense than boxes as a core app, imho. And
> > the wiki says that such a tool is very likely not a core app but would
> > make a great regular app.
>
> Really, this shouldn't be a competition between Backup and Boxes.

This is not a competition. This was just an example to help show why I
feel Boxes doesn't fit in that category.

Cheers,

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.