Re: GnomeGoal proposal: change AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE to create xz compressed pax tarballs

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 10:42:28PM +0200, Olav Vitters wrote:
> Now ~5.5 years later, so I think we're fine with PAX (Solaris has it
> :P). I think it is better to be a bit more future proof (POSIX standard
> + no limitations). I still want to check with *BSD + distributor-list.

For reference, I've made the following for Jasper from OpenBSD:
http://people.gnome.org/~ovitters/tmp/gnome-bluetooth-2.91.92-pax.tar.bz2 1.3M
http://people.gnome.org/~ovitters/tmp/gnome-bluetooth-2.91.92-ustar.tar.bz2 1.3M
http://people.gnome.org/~ovitters/tmp/gnome-bluetooth-2.91.92-v7.tar.bz2 3.8M

pax is what I'd like to switch to
ustar is the smallest one
v7 is broken, due to files exceeding the 99 filename length limit and I
guess a bug in one of the autotools (ftpadmin will complain about the
tarfile being bad)

Note: I did a make dist every time, so timestamps in each file might
differ. This as I wanted the files as 'make dist' would create them; not
just 'tar' options.

--
Regards,
Olav