Re: GnomeGoal proposal: change AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE to create xz compressed pax tarballs

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 09:16:45AM +0100, Tomas Frydrych wrote:
> On 22/05/11 21:42, Olav Vitters wrote:
> > Agree bumping just for bumping doesn't make too much sense, but I'd like
> > to switch to xz only in Nov, so avoiding server recompression is nice.
> > It'll also allow maintainers to more quickly upload tarballs.
>
> Just to clarify -- when you say 'xz only', do you mean using xz-only
> tarballs for ftp uploads, or only distributing xz tarballs (and no
> bzip2) from November onwards ?

Only distributing xz tarballs. You can upload whatever compression
format you want (though currently should be one of gz,bz2,xz),
'ftpadmin' will convert it to whatever it is configured to do (so as of
Nov: xz).

Note about the Goal: ATM checking PAX support with OpenBSD. Might (not)
work, but have to make a test tarball...
--
Regards,
Olav