Re: systemd as external dependency

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 7:17 AM, Lennart Poettering <mztabzr 0pointer de> wrote:

> I second that.
> Speaking as a member of the Debian GNOME team, having the independent
> parts be compilable on their own would definitely help us:
> - While Debian has a systemd package and we hope to have systemd as a
> supported alternative for wheezy, sysvinit is still the default.
> Having GNOME depend on systemd would definitely complicate things for
> us.
> -  Debian's has non-Linux ports. Having the non-arch specific parts in
> a separate package would mean we can more easily make the GNOME
> packages depend on them.

No, that's not going to happen. systemd is strictly Linux-only. I have

What is not going to happen?  systemd is Linux only, or GNOME is systemd only?

Look, systemd is wonderful; it works great.  But GNOME is a desktop environment, and making it tied to an init system does not make sense.

no plans porting it to other kernels, and I will not merge any such
patches. One of the reasons systemd is small and easy to read is that we
don't waste time and resources on abstractions and use the power the
Linux platform supports. For example our main loops are pure epoll(),
and I have no plans at all supporting anything else with a metric ton of
#ifdefs.

If the other kernels matter, then the folks working on them should share
our interfaces (such as the hostnamed bus iface), not our code.

Your interface is the POSIX standard?

You don't care about other Unix like systems with other init implementations; you would screw Debian, Ubuntu, BSDs, Solaris, etc.  But this is not and cannot be the attitude for a wide community.

You have no logical argument to force a desktop environment to support a very narrow viewpoint of yours.

What I am willing to support is builds of systemd that consist only of
the tiny mechanism daemons, and leave the core of it outside. That way
folks can install these mechanisms and stick with their old init systems
for a while.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.

--
Andy Tai, atai atai org, Skype: licheng.tai
Year 2011 民國100年