Re: New module proposal: LightDM

On 17 May 2011 11:37, Fernando Herrera <fherrera onirica com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 7:01 AM, Robert Ancell <robert ancell gmail com> wrote:
>>> So, how? I mean, currently I don't see anycode on lighDM for this. Are
>>> you going to solve that at the distro level using some kind of script
>>> that would start the greeter and then the required AT?
>>
>> This logic would need to be in the greeter - the LightDM daemon does
>> not have any requirement to have a11y support that I can tell of.  The
>> current example greeters have the a11y support their toolkits have
>> (not tested yet).
>
> Well, I think that LightDM requirements are not the point here (and
> the reality is that LightDM current implementation/code is not
> accessible). The point are the requirements that any application to be
> included in GNOME:
> [...]
> Accessibility: Accessibility is a core value of GNOME. The app is
> compliant with a11y documentation to as great an extent as possible,
> and the maintainers have made good faith efforts to fix all a11y bugs
> filed in a timely manner by the a11y team. Please take the time to do
> a 15 minute accessibility smoke test on your GUI if your module
> includes a GUI.
> [...]
>
> I know that we broke this rule for GNOME 3 with gnome-shell, but that
> was a very special situation and the plan is to fix it for GNOME 3.2.
>
> Also please remember that the login manager is a very special
> application that enables the user to start using the computer and if
> it is not accessible, the whole desktop won't be.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Salu2

This is a question that keeps cropping up, and I think I haven't been
answering/understanding the question correctly.

Firstly, LightDM does not have provide a GUI, so does not have any
a11y requirements that I can tell.  The greeter, which is basically an
X application (or a group of X applications if running a session) is
the part that would need a11y support.  This is much the same as
PolicyKit, where the core PolicyKit does not require a11y, but
PolicyKit-GNOME (or as implemented in GNOME Shell now) does.

If we look at the LightDM repository there is an example GTK greeter.
This uses GTK, so it has ATK support.  But I think the point you are
making that I was missing is there is nothing that starts
at-spi-registryd?  So even though the greeter has ATK support, it will
not do anything?