Re: language/locale selector [was: Re: Settings downstream would reasonably want to add]

Hi,

On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 5:01 PM, Ross Burton <ross burtonini com> wrote:
> Let's try that again...
> On Sunday, 15 May 2011 at 20:10, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>> (Background: I am
>> working on cleaning up all those little services that can change
>> locale/clock/timezone/hostname/... in the context of systemd)
>>
> In case you were not aware, in MeeGo 1.2 we've added a "clock" interface to connman. This mainly handles NTP client functionality but can also control (manually or automatically) the system timezone.
>
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=network/connman/connman.git;a=blob;f=doc/clock-api.txt

If only you'd use the standard org.fd.DBus.Properties interface here
then it would be a lot easier to use via e.g. GDBusProxy and other
bindings. And it's a lot easier to inspect with tools like gdbus(1) or
d-feet(1). Not saying it's impossible to write the code to get the
properties and watch for changes - but it's something that _most_
people get wrong or they block the main thread or they end up with
proxies where half the properties is from the old owner and the other
half is from the new owner. Things like that.

(I also see this is using an object exported at / - that's wrong too
but it's a lot harder to get this point across to people.)

</random_rant_no_need_to_follow_up>

    David