Re: "Open containing folder" for all apps

On Sat, 2011-05-14 at 12:13 +1200, John Stowers wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-05-13 at 10:05 +0100, Calum Benson wrote:
> > On 11 May 2011, at 17:52, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> >
> > > One detail of "Open if file manager" is that it is trivial to make apps
> > > call "nautilus --blahblah", but ideally this should be cross-desktop
> > > (and I imagine that Firefox and LibreOffice won't like to have
> > > Gnome-specific stuff like that).  Maybe we need to add an option to
> > > xdg-open(1)?
>
> A few other thoughts on this, as I have noticed myself using the
> following methods to map open files to the filesystem over the last
> days. Some of these problems might be obsoleted by a more proper fix,
> but nevertheless;
>
> * I like not only being able to find the file in nautilus, but to copy
> its path to the clipboard (for later pasting into a terminal)

Ctrl+C in nautilus will copy the file's URI to the clipboard. You can
then paste it in a terminal without any problems (though you'll need to
convert it to a local path if your app doesn't take URIs).

> * Many applications (nautilus, rhythmbox, evince, etc) have a
> File->Properties type window that shows a location label/entry with the
> full file path. Some standard widget for this case that has 'Copy path
> to Clipboard' and/or 'Reveal in File Manager' may be useful.

Yeppers.

> p.s. IIRC nautilus now has a DBus interface that you can use to select
> files, if the command line approach is not chosen.

Which it shouldn't be. The D-Bus interface was added just for that
particular use case (as well as allowing file copies, etc. for
applications, that's how Totem does its "Save a Copy..."
implementation).