Re: "Open containing folder" for all apps

On Wed, 2011-05-11 at 10:36 +0200, Dave Neary wrote:

> I really miss this feature (and the related feature I'd like to see of
> storing recently used folders as well as recently used files).

Excellent use cases, Dave.

I've just updated http://live.gnome.org/DocumentCentricGnome with
details on all of what we discussed.  There are two particularly
important things, I think:

- Show recent-folders explicitly in the collapsed "Save" dialog, instead
of the meaningless drop-down of bookmarks.

- Audit apps, based on the guidelines I posted in that page, to see
whether they set the default filename/folder correctly depending on the
situation.

One detail of "Open if file manager" is that it is trivial to make apps
call "nautilus --blahblah", but ideally this should be cross-desktop
(and I imagine that Firefox and LibreOffice won't like to have
Gnome-specific stuff like that).  Maybe we need to add an option to
xdg-open(1)?

(Similar thing for "Send to..." and nautilus-sendto.)

  Federico