Re: no external panels for gnome-control-center [was GNOME Feature Proposal: Backup]

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 10:28:25AM +0100, Sergey Udaltsov wrote:
> > Distribution
> > differences are something to be avoided, not encouraged.
> It is not for gnome to decide. See the messages from Ross. Differences are
> inevitable. Let's embrace differences, let's minimise patches. Let's be
> friendly to downstream.
> Anyway, since distros are patching in their capplets - gnome FAILED the main
> goal - to define the final experience. And that failure was unevitable. So
> closing apis is just a form of avoiding responsibility for the failure.

I don't see this happening. Are you talking about GNOME 3 or GNOME 2.x
here?

The whole design part is new. My view is that we're way more friendly to
do things for downstream. Instead of letting people patch things
themselves, we'll look at their needs and see where we can add it.

Calling it a failure is premature.

> > I dislike that
> > I have a Mandriva control center.
> It is unevitable with the current approach umho.

But we're changing our approach. We want people to suggest their needs
at GNOME, then we'll see how we can solve their issues.
--
Regards,
Olav