Re: no external panels for gnome-control-center [was GNOME Feature Proposal: Backup]

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 12:47:52AM +0100, Sergey Udaltsov wrote:
> I guess the questions like that will be discussed again and again. The
> interaction between GNOME and distros is a very complex matter. On

Loads of distribution people are involved within GNOME. The only
problems occur with distributions which do not have the resources, or
actively prefer working outside of GNOME (e.g. Canonical, Mandriva at
the moment).

Pretty sure Fedora and openSUSE is fully aware of what the intend is.

Some distributions might not be aware yet, but things are still under
development. Not knowing is not bad; not everything has been defined
yet.

What you do see is various individuals talking about specific things
across distributions. Think e.g. the session handling of systemd.

> political level, on user experience level, on technical level. Please
> please please - put together the policy document. Even if its content
> would make me and Luca unhappy - at least that would be some document
> people could read, could refer to (may be, it would even make me shut
> up:). At least I could send unhappy minority to read that document
> when they WTF me (that happens a lot on linux.org.ru AKA "Russian
> Slashdot"). Then they would decide if they want to stick with GNOME or
> just move on - that might save d-d-l one day from the invasion of all
> those unhappy heads.

I don't get at all what the purpose is (concretely) of the document. Nor
what contents it should have. What do you mean with policy? It feels
very vague and undefined ('interaction points'?).

http://live.gnome.org/GnomeOS
I think above is enough. We aim to have a nice OS. Distribution
differences are something to be avoided, not encouraged. I dislike that
I have a Mandriva control center. It is nice, but specific to Mandriva.
I don't see the benefit. I want a nice integrated experience, not a
collection of components.
Distributions can still change things as they wish, but that is not our
goal.

--
Regards,
Olav