Re: no external panels for gnome-control-center [was Re: GNOME Feature Proposal: Backup]

On 12 May 2011 20:52, Sergey Udaltsov <sergey udaltsov gmail com> wrote:
>>> For something like this, I have a feeling we may only get one chance. If
>>> you don't allow any differentiation on top of GNOME, there is at least
>>> one distribution that will just do preferences differently & ignore
>>> control-center. And I can imagine that future environments along the
>>> lines of moblin, MeeGo, Maemo, etc will end up redoing the preferences
>>> from scratch, rather than building on the gnomecc work.
>>
>> They are doing that anyway, and there is nothing we can do to stop them.
> Why are they doing that? Isn't that a very important question? Is just
> just because of them - or is it about GNOME as well?
> If distros tend to ignore the things that GNOME provides - perhaps,
> GNOME provides something that is not easy to use/customize?

(moblin + maemo == meego, so you've really only got one example there)

FWIW, the netbook spin of MeeGo uses gnome-control-center.  We patch
some capplets and replace others (i.e. display settings, our display
capplet only supports clone) and are very pleased that we can drop in
new capplets because it installs the library headers...

Ross