Re: no external panels for gnome-control-center [was Re: GNOME Feature Proposal: Backup]

>> For something like this, I have a feeling we may only get one chance. If
>> you don't allow any differentiation on top of GNOME, there is at least
>> one distribution that will just do preferences differently & ignore
>> control-center. And I can imagine that future environments along the
>> lines of moblin, MeeGo, Maemo, etc will end up redoing the preferences
>> from scratch, rather than building on the gnomecc work.
>
> They are doing that anyway, and there is nothing we can do to stop them.
Why are they doing that? Isn't that a very important question? Is just
just because of them - or is it about GNOME as well?
If distros tend to ignore the things that GNOME provides - perhaps,
GNOME provides something that is not easy to use/customize?

Sergey