Re: no external panels for gnome-control-center [was GNOME Feature Proposal: Backup]
- From: "Jason D. Clinton" <me jasonclinton com>
- To: Sergey Udaltsov <sergey udaltsov gmail com>
- Cc: desktop-devel-list gnome org
- Subject: Re: no external panels for gnome-control-center [was GNOME Feature Proposal: Backup]
- Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 16:54:07 -0500
On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 16:51, Sergey Udaltsov
<sergey udaltsov gmail com> wrote:
>> I totally agree, IMHO GNOME is a base to allow distributors, vendors and
>> third parts to build up and extend their own user experience and
>> services and "fight" on free market. No competition means stagnation.
> Yes, very true. GNOME wants to dictate some policies. Fair play,
> because we own the code. But that dictate may kill gnome publicly - if
> distros would not want to be dictated.
> Back into the history, X11 provided "mechanism, not policy". GNOME
> enforces policies. Fine, but let's not go too far with this dictate.
> And anyway, even if we dictate policies - at least we should have
> courtesy to put them in words, I guess.
We're not dictating anything; we're just making an awesome OS, the way
we envision, period.
Dictating is what Mozilla tried to pull with their trademark policy.
We aren't doing that. And I can't see us ever trying to do that,
] [Thread Prev