Re: no external panels for gnome-control-center [was GNOME Feature Proposal: Backup]

Il giorno gio, 12/05/2011 alle 20.45 +0100, Sergey Udaltsov ha scritto:

> GNOME is not an OS. GNOME is not a distribution. GNOME is a core
> desktop ("desktop building toolkit", if you like) that is used by
> distributions - it is them who define the _final_ user experience. Do
> we all agree that GNOME should be distribution-friendly, that GNOME
> should trust distributions, make their life reasonably comfortable?

I totally agree, IMHO GNOME is a base to allow distributors, vendors and
third parts to build up and extend their own user experience and
services and "fight" on free market. No competition means stagnation.

But it seems by now we are a small minority :-|

> All those rants aside, let me ask one question: is this APIlessness
> considered as a temporary measure (I know, gnome 3 is currently highly
> undocumented - at least I did not see g-c-c 3 UI guidelines) for some
> transitional period or is it a policy that is planned to last in
> foreseeble future of gnome3?

May I add: who is in charge to settle those _technical_ and _political_
sides of GNOME Desktop development? ;-)

Cheers, Luca