Re: GNOME Feature Proposal: Backup

Sam Thursfield wrote:
> ... snip ...
> >
> >  * Branding - a part of the core should be branded as a part of GNOME 3,
> > and I don't think we'd want GNOME's new backup facility to visibly exist
> > outside of GNOME.
>
> Could you clarify this one a little? On first read it sounds like "if
> Deja Dup becomes part of GNOME core, you aren't allowed to have it on
> any other platforms" although I'm sure that's not at all what you
> meant. I'm struggling to pick up what you do mean though.

I put this too strongly. All I meant was that, if we present GNOME
Backup as part of GNOME 3 (ie. GNOME core), it might look strange if it
can be installed on non-GNOME systems. That wouldn't be an issue if Deja
Dup were applying to be an application, I might add - it's fine having
cross-platform GNOME apps. The issue is that it's potentially going to
be a part of the core - the system - and there's maybe a discrepancy
there with how we describe GNOME 3.

I'm not saying this is a definite problem. It's just something to
consider.

Allan
--
Blog: http://afaikblog.wordpress.com/