Re: GNOME Feature Proposal: Backup

ons 2011-05-11 klockan 12:03 +0200 skrev Michael Terry:
So specifically, you're talking about dropping:
 * Encryption toggle
 * Include/exclude
 * How long to keep backups
 * How often to back up

I'm happy to have a discussion about what to do for each.

Encryption toggle: Since encryption requires a passphrase it is hard to get rid of, and for cloud storage it is very nice to have.
Include/exclude: I think Exclude is still relevant (include should default to all personal data), since I (and probably a lot of other users) download stuff from the Internet that are very temporary, it can be movies, software installers aso... on my Mac I have added and exclude rule for the download folder since that would just waste space on my backup-unit.
How long to keep backups: Forever or as long as there are storage left. I like the TimeCapsule version with a nice default algorithm that tries to keep as much as possible as long as possible.
How often to back up: Always by monitoring the files.

just my view...

//Snaggen