Re: GNOME Feature Proposal: Backup

I think this is a great idea to have an well integrated backup program
as part of the GNOME software suite.
Looking at the screenshots and from testing some previous versions I
have some thoughts. I think the schedule part of the settings is for
advanced usage. By default I think a good backup program should monitor
the file system for changes and do backup continuously, that way the
user knows that everything is safe. Like if I connect my camera and
import the pictures to my computer, I would like to just not have to
care if the images are backed up or when they will be backed up.... I
just want to delete the pictures on my camera knowing that a backup will
exist as soon as possible.
Also I think that a small status applet like on the mac would be great
to have, since that will show the user that things are being backed up
and provide a menu for the settings and forcing a backup.
And a thought for future features... I saw that there were support for
some cloud services for offsite backup, which is great! But is would be
great for personal offsite backups (like http://www.crashplan.com/),
where you install the software on multiple computers (your own or your
friends) allowing them to store backup on each others disks.

Anyway, these are just thoughts and suggestions... I really like
deja-dup and hope it will be part of gnome and integrated in to the
core.

//Snaggen