Re: First release of geocode-glib available

On Mon, 2011-05-09 at 17:14 +0100, Ross Burton wrote:
> On 9 May 2011 16:52, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
> > This is the first release of geocode-glib, a small library on top of the
> > Yahoo! Place Finder API.
>
> What are the terms of service on this API?  If they are in any way
> restrictive, can you document them in the API docs?

50k requests per day, and the fact that the data gathered doesn't
"belong" to you.

See rate limits and terms of use, as linked from the API docs:
http://developer.yahoo.com/geo/placefinder/

We (me, with GNOME Foundation Board hat on) are still in touch with
Yahoo!, and we should be able to increase the rate limits.

Right now, I'm taking a "we'll see" approach. If it turns out that using
Yahoo!'s APIs is not manageable, we'll probably start using Nominatim
from OpenStreetMap instead. But I'd rather force the issue with them,
showing what advantages their APIs could provide us.

Cheers