Re: Using .tar.xz only on ftp.gnome.org (was: install-module / ftp.gnome.org / master.gnome.org)

On 21/03/2011 12:29, Olav Vitters wrote:
On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 09:55:05AM +0000, Ghee Teo wrote:
I hope this does not imply or infer that all the source tarball for
GNOME will be uploaded in .xz format only. Solaris is *not*
supporting .xz by default yet. This means, anyone who want to
compile source code modules will have difficulties.
That is exactly what I meant.

So:
How do Solaris users get GNOME packages? Via ftp.gnome.org?
Yes. We download them from ftp.gnome.org.

I'd like to
understand what the impact would be. So, whom would it affect (what kind
of groups: users/developers/OS team/something else)?
There are 2 aspect of these I can see at least:
Internal usage:
The whole of our GNOME distros are from ftp.gnome.org.
Currently we have *hundreds* of spec files that download tarballs from there. We used .bz primarily. So when that is removed, going forwards, we will have to update all these spec file and on the assumption that we will get xz support in Solaris.

External users:
These is really hard to quantify, there are other distros that stemmed from once the OpenSolaris distribution uses the GNOME spec files we created. E.g. BeleniX.

Some hobby users also uses SFE[1] spec files for Solaris. They will also suffer if Solaris
does not provide xz.

[1] http://pkgbuild.sourceforge.net/spec-files-extra/
Any timeline on
when .xz format would be able to be unpacked on Solaris?
There is an internal bug being tracked for this. The latest indicator that it will be in for the next Solaris release. However, if anyone who want to build anything for Solaris 10 (which was shipped 7 years ago) will not be able to since xz is unlikely to be back ported
for that release.

What are the tarball module for gnome-shell 3.1.0 include?
If these do not include majority of the GNOME 2.x, it may reduce the problem scope significantly.

Thanks,

-Ghee