Re: Formal complaint concerning the use of the name "System Settings" by GNOME

On Saturday, July 23, 2011 04:41:05 AM Ben Cooksley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I find what is proposed by Shaun to be acceptable, as the distinction
> between the two is clearly defined. It still allows users to determine
> the correct System Settings application to use to configure KDE
> applications with what is probably the most minimal level of
> confusion.
>
> KDE System Settings will continue to be called System Settings under
> KDE, but will be called "KDE System Settings" under all other
> environments.
>
> Unfortunately, this is too late for KDE 4.7. Had I been contacted when
> the decision to use the name System Settings under GNOME, this entire
> issue could have been avoided - which I think everyone would have
> preferred.
>
> If any GNOME components exist which do similar using of global names,
> particularly in the space of preferences, it would be much appreciated
> if you take similar steps.
>
> @Matthias: please explain how this doesn't solve the issue.
>
> If anyone has any other comments to make on this, please do. I'll make
> the needed adjustments once KDE 4.7 has been released, unless
> objections are raised.

This will, clearly, run afoul of the KDE rebranding strategy where KDE is a
community and not a piece (or collection) of software.  Personally I think
that says more about the rebranding strategy than this proposal, but this
aspect of it should be considered.

Scott K