Re: RFC : gnome and non-linux oses

On Fri, 2011-01-28 at 21:34 +0000, Sergey Udaltsov wrote:
> I am asking the people's opinion about the general
> strategy in treating non-linux systems. Or, perhaps, "officially"
> admitting that we do not have a policy here - just decide on
> case-by-case basis.

It pretty much has to be done on a case-by-case basis.  This pattern has
happened plenty of times, I guess:

1. Someone implements something for Gnome, taking only Linux into
account (not their fault; it's the only box they have).

2. Someone from another system sees that this doesn't work.

3. They write the equivalent code for another platform, and add what is
needed to make it work there - a configure-time check or whatever.

It does seem weird to have options in the UI along the lines of "what
system do you have?".  The @#$! computer should be able to figure that
out :)

  Federico