Re: Planned GNOME Shell UI changes (was Re: String and UI Change Announcement)

Le lundi 10 janvier 2011 à 14:00 -0500, Owen Taylor a écrit :
> On Mon, 2011-01-10 at 19:03 +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > Is it really necessary? wouldn’t it be simpler to let the user choose in
> > GDM, provided the packages necessary for fallback mode are installed?
>
> There are multiple ways that GDM could be involved here:
>
>  * We could get GDM involved in figuring out whether we want to
>    run in normal mode or fallback mode.
>
>  * We could implement normal mode and fallback mode as two separate
>    independent session types.
>
>  * We could simply use the existing session selector to select
>    between two independent session types.
>
> The first two are definitely possible, I'm not sure if they buy a lot
> compared to doing the selection in gnome-session after we start the
> login process.
>
> The third one - which I understand to be your proposal - I don't think
> it works.

I’m not sure I understand the difference between 2 and 3. What I’m
proposing is two different .desktop files in /usr/share/xsessions, and
possibly GDM being able to select a different default based on the
presence of suitable 3D acceleration.

> I'd like us to be designing for the set of users for whom that choice
> simply wouldn't make sense. People should be able to expect that you
> click on your user, you log in, and the right thing happens. So we need
> to have logic that automatically chooses what to do (Vincent has already
> added some of this to gnome-session) and then we need a way for the user
> to override in the cases that I mentioned.

Doing this in gnome-session makes 2 places where you can configure which
session to run: GDM (to choose between GNOME and other session types if
they are installed) and gnome-session itself. I think that’s a bit
confusing.

> The other part of the equation "displaying information about fallback"
> mode comes into play, if say, I plug a new video card into my system,
> reboot, and suddenly we no longer support 3D. We can't just throw the
> user into a quite radically different experience with no explanation.

Certainly.

I think there’s a third part of the equation, it’s the saved sessions.
If you restore a session saved with GNOME 2 and select the GNOME 3
session, the old applications will start instead. The opposite is the
same: even if you start in GNOME 2 mode, if mutter is in the saved
applications it will start instead of metacity.

Currently, in Debian we tell gnome-session to use a different session
saving directory when starting a GNOME 3 session to avoid that.

--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :