Re: My thoughts on fallback mode

On Tuesday 04 January 2011 11:37:30 you wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 10:54:59AM +0100, Christopher Roy Bratusek wrote:
> > Ever thought, that the attitude of the people above (especially
> > Emanuelles arrogant "we allow you to choose another DE, that's the
> > freedom we leave to you") might stop possible contributors from doing
> > so?
>
> He's a developer and he says what he works upon and what not.

That's not the problem. The problem is that he's telling active members (Mario
Blättermann in this case) that they can leave GNOME, as you (GNOME) leave them
that freedom. Sorry, but that is arrogant.

And before he said that, the discussion was quite factual. At least more than
now.

> People are always free to hack on other things, as what has been stated
> multiple times. The focus for GNOME 3 is clear, if you want to do
> something else, feel free. I am saying this as a release-team and
> sysadmin member, so, really, feel free.
>
> That said, if you want to participate in an existing project, you'll
> have to follow why goals of the maintainer. They will sometimes have
> different goals.

Of course I can feel free and of course there are different goals. But there
are people outwhere who don't care about other points of view. That's not the
problem per se, but they also want to hear them.

Well, Olav you aren't one of them, you're the first from the RT I read in this
thread who actually discusses (from those I know they're part of RT).

> Arguing that developers such as Emmanuele should focus on your wishes
> can be done, but please keep in mind that you'll need to convince
> someone. E.g. annoying them or calling them arrogant is not helpful.
> Especially when their goal/intention is just different.

Well, in my first mail I wrote my opionion and what others I know think about
it, but some don't like that. I'm also a maintainer and I also had users and
contributers who had different points of view or goals, but I never told them
"because I said so" or "I leave you the freedom to leave", that is what upset
me and what lead the discussion in this direction.

It's definitively not that I say my point of view is ultimate or that I want
you to do what I want.

What I wanted to point out is that GNOME3 is developed away from a lot of it's
former users. GNOME2 was free and modular, GNOME3 is only free.

Chris