Re: IRC channels in gnome development

On 6 February 2011 12:52, Dave Neary <dneary gnome org> wrote:
> Hi,
> Gendre Sebastien wrote:
>> Le samedi 05 février 2011 à 11:43 -0600, Paul Cutler a écrit :
>>> Development is not a democracy
>> For a personal project, no. But Gnome is not your personal project, it's
>> a community project. The light of this, you have a duty of openness to
>> the whole community.
> "A community project means exactly what Paul says - it is not a
> democracy. Your argument is one of the main fallacies circulated about
> free software - just because the project is free software does not mean
> that everyone's opinion carries equal weight.
> You have an array of forums for expressing your opinion, as do I, but in
> the end of the day, the most important opinion is the one which is
> expressed in code.
>> So far I have mostly attended one-way debat with designers. Some people
>> arrive with good arguments but they are ignored or they receive
>> ridiculous and/or void cons-arguments. Impossible to have a good debat.
> I think it is important for designers to have a good productive
> relationship with some key developers. I think it's important for the
> designers to be competent, and to have the trust of the developers. And
> honestly, the opinion of people outside that group carry much less weight.
> Sure, designers & developers need to avoid presenting plans & products
> carved in marble, but what you call "good arguments" might not be good
> arguments to members of the core team of Shell. In the end of the day,
> changing something which is a core concept of a project probably needs a
> *lot* of evidence that the change would be a positive one.
> And for things which are accessory, there would at least need to be a
> decent level of agreement on a proposed alternative. Changing design
> should be just as hard and have just as high a bar as proposing a patch
> for a feature.
> Cheers,
> Dave.
> --
> Dave Neary
> GNOME Foundation member
> dneary gnome org
> _______________________________________________
> desktop-devel-list mailing list
> desktop-devel-list gnome org

Guys, for a sake of a sanity. I've been around gnome since pre 2.0
times. And all times up to now we supposed that OSS is about
democratic process, where programmers are not told buy big enterprise
daddy what to write. Now, you former windows/sco/ibm/sun programmers
are coming and saying that is wasn't. Yes, there are some big
developers who can steer the way of a project, but nobody up to now
just came I said what you have just said!

You can't complete your shell if you drop off all the remaining
developers of the boat. Shell is already a buggy hell, that will take
many months just to stabilize. Now, probably you realize that simply
dumping your privately developed project on a community in hope that
it will accept and maintain it doesn't work.

If you want to have your shell working, just change your position on
this matter.

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]