Re: ThreePointOne: Contacts

On Mi, 2011-04-20 at 10:58 +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-04-19 at 17:06 +0200, Patrick Ohly wrote:

> > > IIRC, that was a bug you filed for evolution-couchdb, which didn't
> > > include the REV field, which I fixed some months ago.
> >
> > Does it support arbitrary vCard extensions?
> >
> evolution-couchdb supports whatever Evolution supports, which has
> several vCard extensions (X-EVOLUTION-* fields for instance), so yes, it
> does

I was thinking of extensions not yet used by Evolution. Let's use an
example: is an extensions like X-FOOBARAPP-MY-NEW-PROPERTY going to be
stored by evolution-couchdb when it appears in a vCard sent to EDS?

This is relevant in several cases:
     1. when extending the data model in Evolution and/or apps using
        libebook
     2. when storing/retrieving vCards created by some other app

Case 1 occurs when using EDS as backend for QtContacts, the contact API
in MeeGo. I'm currently working on that binding, with the goal of
getting EDS back into MeeGo.

Case 2 already occurs in GNOME when synchronizing. It can be handled by
SyncEvolution by declaring which properties are supported by a storage,
but right now the assumption is that EDS backends are as capable as the
file backend and support arbitrary extensions.

> As for couchdb, it's a schema-free database, so it can support whatever
> we want it to

How hard would it be to add storing such extensions and recreating them
again later? Remember that they may also contain X- parameters and that
binary encoding needs to be handled.

--
Bye, Patrick Ohly