Re: Moduleset Reorganization -- Take two

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 2:07 PM, Holger Berndt <berndth gmx de> wrote:
> On Di, 12.10.2010 14:59, Vincent Untz wrote:
>
>>For example, if Tomboy moves out of Core, then we will still talk about
>>it the way we talk about it today. We would want to keep mentioning cool
>>new features in the release notes, and I guess that should address
>>concerns about the perception.
>
> Maybe it's just me, but I'm afraid that the release notes might
> end up delivering unwanted messages. Say there is videoplayer 1, with
> new features A,B and C. Then there is videoplayer 2, with new features D
> and E. Maybe it had features A and B before anyways, but not C. So, if
> a user is interested in all that cool stuff in the release notes -
> what's he supposed to use?
>
> So what message does this convey about a GNOME release? That it offers
> a consistant, tightly integrated desktop user experience? Or that it's a
> loose collection of somewhat related, partly overlapping applications?

Yes, I'm curious how coherent the release notes will be when they list
the latest greatest features from Tomboy, and then the slightly
different but generally overlapping set offered by Gnote, in the
hypothetical situation where both apps were in the app moduleset.
That's only the most extreme example, but Banshee/Rhythmbox sends an
equally confusing message.

I'm really not sure what the answer here is.  I don't think that
deemphasizing app features in the release notes would help any, as it
would make for increasingly boring reading for users (who tend to care
more about apps than core stuff).  But it's also a problem if we have
longer, conflicting, confusing release notes.

Splitting out apps makes sense in a lot of ways, but clearly there are
a few sticking points that we need to figure out.

Sandy