Re: Moduleset Reorganization -- Take two

Le jeudi 07 octobre 2010, à 07:32 -0700, Sandy Armstrong a écrit :
> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 4:38 AM, Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org> wrote:
> > Moreover, we encourage maintainers of applications that are part of the
> > Desktop today and that are not core applications to consider helping
> > with the bootstrap efforts of this application set by moving their
> > applications there.
>
> What are the downsides, if any, of moving your application out of
> Core?  Perceived loss of status/importance to GNOME?  Any practical
> differences?

The goal is to not have any downside :-) In my opinion, we won't have
any real or major downside if we are happy with the reorganization and
if we just do it. People should not consider this Applications set some
kind of second-class citizen; on the contrary, that's the way we want to
push to get more first-class citizens.

For example, if Tomboy moves out of Core, then we will still talk about
it the way we talk about it today. We would want to keep mentioning cool
new features in the release notes, and I guess that should address
concerns about the perception.

(Of course, we can't talk about everything in release notes, so it has
to be something exciting for users -- but that was already the case
before)

I wish I could say there will be no practical differences, but I can't
tell for sure. I don't think we should expect major practical
differences, though.

The main practical difference I can imagine right now is that without a
priority list for Applications, translators might have a hard time
telling which applications to translate first (same for the
documentation team). But that's assuming we get tons and tons of
applications suddenly -- that would be great, but I don't think it will
be this way. We might have to create some kind of priority list at some
point, based on popularity, or whatever. But that's not something we
need in the short term, imho.

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.