Re: about me (was: Re: GNOME 3 external dependency proposal (accounts service))

On Tue, 2010-10-12 at 20:49 +0200, Johannes Schmid wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > The users panel will be very useful in adding some long sought after
> > basic GDM configuration, as well as replacing the horror that was
> > gnome-about-me.
>
> While we are on it: Is there a cental place in GNOME3 to get basic user
> information (like prefered E-Mail or things like that). It is annoying
> when you have to configure a couple of applications with data that's
> already there. I really don't want to depend on evolution-data-server
> for this or at least not directly, dbus is probably ok.

accounts-service has a field for e-mails, for the rest, libfolks could
offer a similar information about the rest of the accounts, though you'd
still end up depending on e-d-s indirectly I guess.

> Of course we might want to have something like "Do you want to share
> that information with app xy" for privacy reasons.

I don't see how that would be any help when the data is already
accessible through the filesystem (most likely).

In any case, this isn't pony day, but a module proposal ;)

Cheers