Re: Learning to develop for GNOME and connecting with other developers

On Mon, 2010-05-24 at 21:37 +0000, joshua rh comcast net wrote:
> Hello,
>      I've been off and on reading this book: http://www.gtkbook.com/
> and have looked into the devhelp program, as well as a little
> gstreamer. Does anyone have any recommendations for me as to how to
> get started developing applications for GNOME?  I'd also like to start
> fixing bugs on launchpad (have an account there) to learn about large
> systems, connect with developers, and better problem solve.  The other
> thing I want to do is connect with developers,  I don't really know
> anyone that likes to write GNOME software, and I think I'd learn
> faster if I did.  Thanks,
>
> Josh

Hi Josh,

Thanks for your interest in becoming a GNOME Developer!

I might recommend a couple things:

If you're looking to connect with developers, join GIMPNet IRC and join
the #gnome, #gnome-love and #bugs channels.

GNOME Love is a great way to get started in triaging and fixing bugs -
using the "gnome-love" keyword in GNOME Bugzilla, developers tag bugs or
feature enhancements that should be easy for a new developer to tackle.
Learn more at http://live.gnome.org/GnomeLove and make sure to join the
mailing list too and introduce yourself.

Paul