Learning to develop for GNOME and connecting with other developers

Hello,
     I've been off and on reading this book: http://www.gtkbook.com/ and have looked into the devhelp program, as well as a little gstreamer. Does anyone have any recommendations for me as to how to get started developing applications for GNOME?  I'd also like to start fixing bugs on launchpad (have an account there) to learn about large systems, connect with developers, and better problem solve.  The other thing I want to do is connect with developers,  I don't really know anyone that likes to write GNOME software, and I think I'd learn faster if I did.  Thanks,

Josh