Re: GSettings schema paths: time to do some cleaning?

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 12:56 PM, Milan Bouchet-Valat <nalimilan club fr> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I was wondering what kind of schema paths should adopt during the
> migration to GSettings. Old GConf paths feel really lame, since we
> basically put everything into /apps, with a few general settings going
> to /desktop. Only /system really makes sense. This reminds people of the
> horrid Windows Registry's HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and friends! ;-)
>
> If we want to choose a better way of organizing schemas, the time is
> now. What about going with something similar to D-Bus,
> with /org/gnome/my-app? This feels pretty natural, and settings would be
> sorted much more logically. For most simple schemas, name and path would
> be equivalent (i.e. org.gnome.my-app), which makes sense. System-wide
> settings could go into /system.  Or do we want two top-level
> directories, /user and /system?
>
> The migration docs don't say a word about this, and Ryan told me he
> hasn't planned anything for that. So let's discuss this before it's too
> late!

Good point. So, here is my take on it:

/system in gconf doesn't make much sense to me - there is nothing
system-wide about the settings that I store there in my users gconf
db.

The split between /apps and /desktop in gconf was meaningful
initially, but the meaning has been eroded over time. Originally,
/apps/foo would take app-specific settings of app foo, and things
below /desktop would be settings that are used by most things in the
desktop (e.g. /desktop/gnome/interface/...)

I think it would make sense to keep the app-specific vs desktop-wide
split. Not sure if we need to change the paths from /apps/foo to
/org/gnome/foo and from
/desktop/gnome/xyz to /org/gnome/desktop/xyz.

Wrt. to system-wide settings, I think we will to address this in the
docs once the polkit support in gsettings/dconf settles (should be
done by next week, I think).

Matthias