Re: Modulesets Reorganization

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 7:37 PM, Lucas Rocha <lucasr gnome org> wrote:
Extra Information
-----------------

We're planning to do the actual reorganization of the modulesets as soon as
possible during this development cycle. The idea is that GNOME 3 is released
using the new modulesets.

The long term plan for the GNOME applications that were removed from the
Desktop, Admin and Dev Tools modulesets is to simply highlight the high-quality
applications using the GNOME platform through our communication channels
(release notes, website, etc). There will be no "official" apps anymore and no
'Applications' moduleset in the GNOME releases. The goal here is be more open
with the app developer community around GNOME and to highlight all the nice
things that can be created using our platform.

I want to say that I am really happy about this proposal! As co-maintainer of GNOME Games, I have had to constantly turn down people whom want their game included in the distribution only to obtain the recognition that would come with that inclusion. Some of the games that have been proposed have been of a really high quality but, for example, didn't fit the language knowledge of the current maintainers.

By downgrading GNOME Games to the same level as all those others that have been proposed, distributions will be encouraged to find other alternative games from the wider GNOME community. That would be a good thing!

Others have expressed worry about translations and documentation. I'm not worried about that GNOME Games has the history and mind-share to ensure that people working on our infrastructure make a habit out of working on the GNOME Games, regardless of its status.