Re: Modulesets Reorganization

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 11:00 AM, Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org> wrote:
If we're to allow external hosting for "blessed" applications
(to whatever extent we're blessing applications), these rules
would go a long way towards helping bridge the gap. But the
gap will still be there.

It's just more stuff to think about for contributors, and for
non-git hosting services, it's another VCS to learn. There's
a lot of stuff I have to teach new documentation contributors,
and adding another VCS to the mix doesn't help.

I think there's a misunderstanding that applications would be blessed at all. The way this change was proposed in the GNOME Boston Summit 2009 and the way the announcement reads, applications are merely awesome to the point of having a sufficient level of community mind-share, like in other free software communities, or they are hosted on our infrastructure (which is really easy to have happen now) and easier to contribute to because of that. Remember, any reasonably GNOME-related is welcome to be hosted on our infrastructure.

From the Marketing Team's perspective, we will mention and showcase apps which have that high level of "community mind-share". That basically means everything that's currently in the Desktop suite plus a whole lot more.