Re: (L)GPLv3

On 06/07/10 18:17, Ryan Lortie wrote:
hi Ted,

On Tue, 2010-07-06 at 12:12 -0500, Ted Gould wrote:
                                                           IANAL but I'm
curious if a "standard exception" couldn't be drafted for LGPLv3 to
allow linking with GPLv2 programs.  Perhaps with work, that could be
GNOME policy going forward?  I like v3, but I think we need to be able
to link to v2 programs.

As I mentioned it my earlier emails, it's not a term in the LGPLv3 that
prevents you from linking GPLv2 programs to it.  It's the GPLv2 in the
program code that states "you can't link this against anything other
than GPLv2 code".

Nothing we could add to the library licence (other than dual-licensing
under GPLv2) could fix this.

Shame GNOME isn't a standard component of an operating system, right?

This all just smells bad. Lets just go BSD :P

Rob

Cheers