Re: (L)GPLv3

Le lundi 05 juillet 2010, à 21:58 -0400, Ryan Lortie a écrit :
> hi Vincent,
>
> On Mon, 2010-07-05 at 17:18 +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
> > It's worth thinking really hard before moving to LGPLv3 (at least; not
> > sure about GPLv3): LGPLv3 is incompatible with GPLv2, according to the
> > FSF; that's a major issue, and, IMHO, this doesn't go well with our
> > philosophy of having our platform LGPL.
>
> Just a note: the LGPLv3 is incompatible with GPLv2 not because of the
> LGPLv3 but because of the GPLv2 (which is incompatible with almost
> everything).  I'm not sure this should be counted as a point against
> LGPLv3, in general.

Sure. But the point is that there are GPLv2-only apps out there, and I
don't think we want to give them a platform they can't use -- the reason
we chose LGPL for the platform was that we wanted people to be able to
use our platform in many cases, including this one.

Do you feel okay with the idea of allowing proprietary apps to use our
platform but not GPLv2 apps?

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.