(L)GPLv3

hi Everyone,

I recently received an email from a company in our ecosystem asking me
to relicense a smallish piece of code from GPLv3 to (L)GPLv2.

I'm not really interested in inciting a flamewar on the topic or
anything, but I'm wondering how people feel, in general about the
licensing direction of the GNOME project.

  1) Go freedom-warrior GPLv3 style and make the world a better place
     (potentially at the cost of our own relevance).

  2) Be pragmatic GPLv2 style and make the world a better place
     (potentially at the cost of reduced end-user freedoms).

One thing in particular I want to mention is that I asked about this
topic a couple of years ago in relation to Gtk and was told at that time
that we can't reasonably relicense Gtk 2.0 since the licence could
almost be considered as being part of the API/ABI contract.

We have 3.0 upon us now, so I guess we should make a choice one way or
another.

Cheers