Re: XDG StatusNotifier Specification: Feedback Invited

On Thu, 2010-01-14 at 02:46 +0000, Luis Medinas wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-01-13 at 13:52 -0600, Ted Gould wrote:
> > To make it simple to use for application developers we've built a small
> > library called libappindicator [1] that makes it pretty easy to create
> > and manage the icon and the menu an we've documented how to use it
> > [2].  Hopefully this will become part of GTK/GNOME in the future, but
> > obviously it won't be in the 2.30 cycle.  It will provide things like
> > transparent fallback to GtkStatusIcon for support of people who choose
> > not to run the applet (and have a notification area one).
>
> Ok so if it won't be on 2.30 it will be done for 3.0 ?

It will be done on the schedule with 2.30, but it is too late to propose
modules or major dependency changes for 2.30.  3.0 is more of an open
question as, in it's current incarnation, it has a panel applet which of
course wouldn't be accepted for 3.0.  I think it's too early to tell
what will happen with the code for 3.0.

But, as it is looking to become an XDG spec, I would hope that GNOME 3
would support it as such.

I'd like to think that the code in libappindicator would useful, and
maybe even migrate into a replacement for GtkStatusIcon in GTK+.  The
applet obviously isn't.  But, that is what press releases describe as a
"forward looking statement." ;)

		--Ted