Re: GNOME 3 cleanup status update

2010/1/11 Andre Klapper <ak-47 gmx net>:
> Am Donnerstag, den 30.07.2009, 03:01 +0100 schrieb Alberto Ruiz:
>> 2009/7/29 Andre Klapper <ak-47 gmx net>:
>> > =================================================================
>> > ZERO modules dependening on gnome-vfs
>> > =================================================================
>> > COMPLETED - Bindings left:
>> > complex: 1 (gnome-python)
>> > average: 1 (gnome-sharp)
>>
>> I just took a look at gnome-python.... there's nothing there to save!
>> The whole module binds stuff that's going to go away in 3.0
>>
>> I would mark this as wontfix and deprecate the whole module itself to be honest.
>
> So we agree on dropping this for 2.31.1, or is that too early for some
> reasons I'm not aware of?
>
> Wondering how to proceed here.

I'm not a python expert but I think It's the best solution.

With GObjectInstrospection support added to python bindings [1], IMHO
we simply should go ahead and add introspection support for the
remaining libraries.

gnome-python module supports:
- libbonobo (deprecated)
- libgnomecanvas (deprecated)
- libgnome (deprecated)
- libgnomevfs (deprecated)
- gconf (maybe deprecated for 3.0 (replaced for dconf))

gnome-python-desktop module supports:
- brasero
- evince
- evolution
- gnomeapplet
- gnomedesktop
- gnomekeyring
- gnomeprint (deprecated by GtkPrint)
- gtksourceview
- gtop
- mediaprofiles
- metacity
- nautilusburn (obsoleted by brasero)
- rsvg
- totem
- wnck

These modules already have introspection support [2]:
- brasero
- evince
- gnomekeyring

So we should add introspection to:
- evolution
- gnome-applets
- gnome-desktop
- gtksourceview
- gtop
- metacity (but its replacement, mutter, has introspection support)
- rsvg
- totem
- wnck

to remove gnome-desktop-python and don't lost any functionality.
So follow these instructions: [3]  and add introspection support to
your module ;)

Regards

[1] http://live.gnome.org/PyGI
[2] http://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/AddGObjectIntrospectionSupport